The War of the Pales (aka the "Pale Food Riots" or "Truane's Star Civil War") took place between Pale and New Pale within the Truane's Star system. The war lasted 5 years (F.Y. 58 - 63) but the events that lead to the war started in the decades before.
Planetary Information Edit
New Pale is one of the planets in orbit around Truane's Star:
- Racial Makeup: Mostly Human.
- Population: 2 million; A few cities, most under 100,000.
- Economy: Agricultural society.
Pale is the other planet in orbit around Truane's Star:
- Racial Makeup: Mixed Planet. No dominant race.
- Population: 11 million; A few large cities and several smaller cities under 100,000.
- Economy: Most of the economy is based on mining. The planet is rich in metals and fossil fuels. Industrial plants and factories serve as the main employers.
- F.Y. 49 - Pale is struck by the worst quake in the planet's history. The quake destroys two major cities, kills thousands, and plummets Pale into a recession as the colonists pour all available resources into recovery. Planetary production declines drastically.
- F.Y. 53 - Pale is rebuilt and pulls out of its recession. New Pale receives an influx of colonists from Pale and experiences its own growing pains. The increased population of New Pale increases food production, lowering prices. The future begins to look bright again for Pale.
- F.Y. 54 - New Pale, however, is a different story. The influx of colonists puts a strain on the system and the labor pool swells. New Pale is primarily human, and when other races pour in, taking jobs, there are racial tensions. Many political and a few militant groups form.
- F.Y. 55 - 3 major terrorist attacks on Pale industrial targets by New Pale militant groups. The political factions of New Pale object to these terrorist attacks. Unfortunately, MINER is one of the random targets, and they pour several million credits into recovery. Pale begins a military mobilization. Neither government likes what is beginning to brew on the horizon.
- F.Y. 56 - A food transport to Pale is sabotaged. HUSP, a predominantly human faction that opposes the 'oppression and manipulation' of New Pale by the Pale government, takes credit for the attack. Pale citizens are outraged and terrified - an attack on food supplies being an attack on their very survival. They demand action. Pale increases its military presence by sending many ships to New Pale. These ships are there only for the protection of vital food shipments, but the citizens of New Pale protest loudly.
- F.Y. 57 - The second food shipment is destroyed in a bombing at New Pale's major spaceport. This causes Pale to move their military presence planet-side as a "colonial protection" force. No one takes credit for the bombing and rumors spread rapidly. Many believe that forces on Pale were responsible; the attack giving them the excuse to occupy the planet. New Pale begins mobilizing its military as well to 'assist' in the protection of food supplies. Residents of Pale become very nervous about the situation, and a second exodus starts; a war seems inevitable and no one wants to be stuck on Pale with no food.
- F.Y. 58 - Despite diplomatic efforts, Pale and New Pale forces clash and the two planets are at war. The plans for Volturnus are nearly forgotten. The war is fought primarily using guerilla tactics, as the New Pale military is no match Pale's numbers. Food shipments are attacked frequently. This leads to a number of pitched battles over rich agricultural centers on New Pale.
- F.Y. 60 - The President and owner of MINER, a vrusk, is kidnapped and later reported killed when his ransom is not paid. His body is never recovered, and his will calls for the liquidation of MINER, with all proceeds to be deposited into a private bank account. It is widely believed that a rival mining company is responsible for his death. Pale is spiralling into depression, which opens the way for warfare on the corporate level. Many mining operations go out of business. Others grow. One mid-sized corporation, Streel, (based in Point True) begins to acquire these small companies, hoping to gain a planet-wide monopoly.
- F.Y. 63 - Streel controls all mining operations on Pale.
- F.Y. 63 - The war between Pale and New Pale ends. For three years, Streel poured millions of the company's profits into the war effort, making an effort to end the war (and no doubt to further its relations with the government of Truane's Star). Confronted by an army of far superior quality and quantity, the HUSP faction is caught and their leaders convicted of murder. The few remaining factions are wiped away as well. The New Pale military surrenders soon after; the cease-fire is surprisingly civil. The 'undesirable' faction of New Pale's government is replaced, and the two planet's relations begin a slow improvement. At war's conclusion, New Pale's government joins Pale's to begin joint governance of the Truane's Star system.
Notes and References Edit
- ↑ Image Source - DS9 screeencap